When others are on strike

When other workers are striking, whether that’s because they were balloted specifically or they belong to another union, you need to know your rights.

Read the Council’s guide to industrial action

Key facts

Your manager should not ask if you are in a union or what union you are in. They have no right to know. Trade union membership is confidential. If anyone is asking about your union membership, contact a rep.

You do not have to inform your manager in advance if you choose not to work on a strike day. You can let them know on the day as a courtesy, but there is no requirement.

Workers should not carry out the work of striking workers. Contact your local rep if you have concerns.

Crossing a picket

You cannot be disciplined if you refuse to cross a picket line.

For the days you do not work due to not crossing a picket you will lose

  • pay
  • pension contributions—you can buy these back.

Only workers that are on officially on strike can claim strike pay.

Support the strike

For strikes over pay, one group of workers in the council is standing up on behalf of us all.

In 2022, this was the Waste and Cleansing workers, for example. Striking workers are sacrificing pay and standing on the frontline in the fight for better conditions, so it is important that council workers that are not on strike appreciate this. Talk to other workers and make clear the message that the strikers are doing it for you!

There are many other ways to support a strike. You can

  • donate to the strike fund—see below
  • publicise the strike in your workplace—print posts from this website to display
  • collect donations for the strike fund
  • visit pickets to show support and bring refreshments
  • join in any demonstrations or events during the strike
  • post your support or share posts from this website on social media
  • make placards, banners and flags for pickets and demos.

Strikes over pay aim to bring the Scottish Government to the table, as they control the funding for our pay. Contact your MSP to ask that they support the strike and demand funding for council workers is very helpful!

Donate to the strike fund

Donate to our online fundraiser using your card and digital payment methods.

You can also donate by bank transfer to:

  • Account name: Unite SC13386 Branch
  • Sort code: 60-83-01
  • Account number: 20301310

Please note strike fund and your name in the reference.

Cash donations can be handed in to the Unite office at 22 York Place.