What to do if you are under disciplinary investigation

The what to do… series of posts explains the steps members should take in various situations within the Council.

  1. You will be notified of the allegations against you in writing, not just by word of mouth.
  2. As you as you receive the written allegations, note who the nominated officer is—this will be the person that sent the letter—and contact a rep.
  3. The next step is an investigation interview. As soon as you have been informed of when this is, contact your rep to ensure they can attend with you.
  4. To prepare, make notes in response to the allegations, considering the circumstances at the time. If there are witnesses you may want to give their names to the investigating officer.

Do not discuss the disciplinary with any other council workers. You should only discuss with your rep and any worker assigned to support you or investigate allegations.

Informal resolution

Minor breaches may not be dealt with through a full disciplinary process. Sometimes they are dealt with through ‘informal resolution’. This is a meeting with your line manager where they explain the issues and what changes they want to see. You are then asked to sign a form to confirm the discussion took place and agree the review period—this will be no more than 3 months.

You have no need to comply with the informal resolution process, but if you don’t this may lead to a full disciplinary investigation. A rep can advise.

Suspension or moved workplace

Depending on the allegations against you, you may be suspended from work or moved to another location. If you are suspended or moved there must be no loss of pay. Neither can be considered as punishment, and they hold no sense of guilt or innocence. The purpose is to allow the investigation to be carried out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *